I came across this article and felt my readers would benefit from it. I truly believe food can protect the body from illnesses. My personal experience with my family and myself is to eat lots of vegetables and fruits to stay healthy. I love all vegetables and fruits but my kids do not. During the fall and winter, my kids and I take extra vitamin A & C, along with seasonal vegetables. I have given some photos of vegetables and fruits with their nutritional value.
Gardening in the winter months can be difficult unless you have a green house. Lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers are usually not in season. I love salads and try to support local farmers but in the winter it’s challenging to buy local salad stuff. I do not like to buy vegetables that are shipped from long distances.
Solutions to eating seasonal vegetables can be soups, casseroles or baking them. I love making soups during the winter. Eating soup during cold freezing weather makes me feel warm inside. Squash makes great soups and casseroles. Below are descriptions of different squashes.
Please click on the link to learn more on seasonal fruits and vegetables for the winter “Eating seasonal fruits and vegetables can help you stay healthy this winter” posted by Kelly Fitzpatrick on September 23, 2013.
According to Self Nutrition Data (2013), “cauliflower is a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese”.
Grapes provide excellent source of Vitamin C & K.
According to Nutrition Data (2013), Kiwi is an excellent source of Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Potassium and Copper, and a very good source of Vitamin C and Vitamin K. Read More http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1934/2#ixzz2hwuqcrD1
Do you feel the same way about food
protecting the body from illness?
Please share your opinions. Your comments make a difference.
- Foods that May Prevent Colds and the Flu (thefarmersfriend.wordpress.com)
- Nutrition Kids Need to Grow (plumorganics.com)
- Keeping the heart health and winter colds away (calijuiceclub.wordpress.com)
- Cooked or Raw Food? (800medigap.com)
- Eating seasonal fruits and vegetables can help you stay healthy this winter. (jenniferreidblog.wordpress.com)
- Vitamin-Rich Foods You Aren’t Eating (mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com)
- Health Benefits of Cucumbers (thevaidya.wordpress.com)
- Fruit and vegetables are usually very important for any child’s wellness (smashfit4kids258.wordpress.com)
- Nutrition for the Colon (eatknowhow.com)
- Things I do Everyday to Thrive (Especially During Cold and Flu Season) (galakitchen.com)